Monday, December 17, 2007

Amigos (Closed)

This restaurant has closed -- there is a new restaurant in Prague 5 with the same name.

Rosita: I was thinking later, you could kiss me on the veranda.
Dusty Bottoms: Lips would be fine.
Scene from "¡Three Amigos!" (1986)
When it comes to Amigos, my memory is not very good. I'm not talking about the juvenile, self-indulgent film comedy starring Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short.

That I remember.

I'm talking about the Prague restaurant, Amigos. Some say the Vinohrady establishment is one of the best Tex-Mex spots in town.To be honest, that's not really saying so much when it comes to the Czech chimichanga circuit.

Some say Cantina on Újezd is better. That place is certainly popular, but I'm not going fight that battle today.

Best quality questions aside, there is also the quantity of Amigo's offerings. The restaurant is known for it's extensive, tome-like menu.

Amigos used to be called Kojak's, but I heard some talk that they had to change it after coming under pressure from the "Who loves ya, baby?" people.

It's hard to believe it was July that I ate there with my friend, The King of England. We stopped in for food after shooting pool at the nearby Harlequin Billiard Club.

I wrote a post about that place, but never got around to writting up Amigos. I don't remember so much about what we ate now -- not that I remembered much the day after we were there. We had a few beers over the course of the evening.

But I still have the photos. Since I hate waste, I thought it would be worthwhile to put them out.

The Amigos interior was a glaring mix of yellows, reds, and Tex-Mex kitsch.His Royal Highness got the sampler plate, the Plato Surtido (250 CZK). It was half a chicken quesadilla, small honey-mustard wings, small BBQ pork ribs, jalapeňos rellenos, and tostada.I remember that the wings were decent, but smaller and not as good as at Ambiente, which is just up the street. The fried jalapenos were pretty heavy and a bit greasy. The quesadilla got quite soggy under all that salsa and sour cream. I wish they'd put it on the side.

I had one of my favorites -- the beef chimichanga (200 CZK). Or perhaps it was the chicken chimichanga (130 CZK). That just goes to show you how much I remember.It came stuffed with refried beans. On top was sour cream, guacamole and jalapeňos. It was served with Mexican rice, lettuce, tomatoes and a dish of salsa in the middle of the plate.

Overall, I am comfortable saying this about Amigos: It was OK. When I need a Tex-Mex fix, I'm sure I'll be back. But it was not so outstanding I needed to put it in my regular restaurant rotation.

If it was, I'd definitely remember.

Restaurant Amigos
Anny Letenské 16
Prague 2
Tel. (+420) 222 250 594



View Larger Map

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out Banditos near I.P. Pavlova. In my experience they have pretty good Mexican food!!!

Sandlefish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.