Friday, June 27, 2008

Bohemia Bagel at Holešovice

“Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.”-Niccolo Machiavelli
Often, I lie in bed and think about my problems. Personal hurdles to overcome. Things like "I need more blog posts about Prague 7 breakfast spots." Heavy stuff.

One morning, the English Patient called. He informed me that the Divine Miss C, and two out of town friends had a craving for bagels.

"Should we go to the Bohemia Bagel in Malá Strana or Old Town," he asked.

"Neither," I replied. "You're coming from Prague 6. The best would be the Holešovice location. Closer for you and probably less crowded." Which was certainly true.

"OK, we'll meet you there."When we arrived around noon, the place was practically deserted.The seating in the main dining area is awkward for groups bigger than four, so we sat in a smaller room with standard tables that could be pushed together.By the time we left, all the tables were full. A lot of late risers in Prague.

I actually arrived before everyone else. I was hungry and thirsty, but I'm not really a coffee drinker.

So, I ordered a "real American" chocolate milkshake (95 CZK).

I didn't think it was so good. It was not thick enough, or chocolaty enough. It was more like creamy chocolate milk.

T.G.I. Friday's at Anděl has many faults, but their chocolate milkshake is far better and cheaper.

The breakfast menu had the creative title: Wake-N-Bake. Funny. I just hope my mom doesn't ask me to explain why.

I was recently disappointed by the Homerun Breakfast at Red, Hot & Blues. So, I decided to try Bohemia Bagel's similar offering, the Charles IV stack (169 CZK).It was two fried eggs, American bacon, sausage patties, two American pancakes, real maple syrup, butter, and a mini-bagel. The Internet menu says either bacon or sausage, but I got both without asking.

The little sausage burgers were tasty, especially with a little syrup. The bacon was big and thick, but on the hard and chewy side.

The pancakes were terrific. Big and hot, and the real syrup made a real difference. Way better than the little, thin ones at Red, Hot & Blue. The Bohemia fried eggs were overdone and not so special.

The English Patient and one friend ordered the Full Monty (179 CZK). It was English bacon, two eggs, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, baked beans and sausage links and mini bagel.He told me he enjoyed it very much, with only one caveat.

He had the same issue with the bacon that I did. He said it was something between English and American bacon. A bit too hard.

I believe one of the visitors had a ham omelet, which came with hash browns and a mini-bagel (139 CZK).The Divine Miss C had a mushroom and cheese omelet. She later told me it was "dry and pasty" but was helped by a quantity of Heinz ketchup. She felt she could make better at home.

I did not taste any of the other breakfasts, but I can tell you that everyone except Divine Miss C raved and said they really enjoyed them.

I now have one less problem to lie in bed and worry about. At the same time, my friends and their guests were, for the most part, more than pleased with my restaurant suggestion.

So.

Am I a Machiavellian manipulator? Or a selfless Samaritan?

As you consider that, just remember that Machiavelli was not exactly known as a "win-win" kinda guy.

Bohemia Bagel at Holešovice
Dukelských Hrdinu 48/Šimáckova 21
Prague 7
Tel. (+420) 220 806 541


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the omelette looks kinda like the one i used to get at Ihop years ago, only smaller... but evrything in general looks quite good.... i thought it was a bit pricey, but for Prague's lack of international decent breakfast perhaps with reason.
keep up the good work .... I wonder how you come up with these quotes... which are right on the money!

Brewsta said...

Thanks, Javier. Everything is getting expensive in Prague -- but anything that caters to expat tastes, especially so.

As for the quotes -- I just think of what I want to say and do some creative Googling.

E.F. Slattery said...

It also seems to be a very kid-friendly place (and not in a bad way) on the weekends.
Incidentally, right around the corner from this BB is a great little wine shop, Vinoteka Vínečko.

Anonymous said...

This is my local restaurant, so it's disappointing that my experiences are not as positive as yours. They seem unable to server food hot, let alone warm. And the fries are terrible - greasy and over-cooked. It doesn't seem sure about what it wants to be - cafe or diner or restaurant or bar. Smoothies are now CZK 89 each!